The symptoms of PADS and the symptoms of post-partum depression are quite similar:
- Feeling depressed or particularly irritable for most of the day.
- Diminished interest in activities that used to be enjoyable.
- Significant weight loss or gain, and/or a change in appetite.
- Changes in sleep pattern.
- Noticeable increase or decrease in motor activity (others notice that they’re slower or more agitated than usual).
- A general feeling of fatigue or low energy day after day.
- Feeling worthless or excessively guilty on a regular basis.
- Indecisiveness or an impaired ability to think or concentrate.
- Suicidal thoughts.
If you feel that you are experiencing Post Adoption Depression Syndrome, please let your doctor and social worker know immediately.