Golf Tournament Volunteer Roles
Lifeline’s Annual Celebrity Golf Tournament is typically held in May at Bent Brook Golf Course in Birmingham, Alabama. This afternoon event is a great opportunity to reach a slightly different audience of about 150 golfers and celebrities (primarily men) with Lifeline’s mission and heart for serving vulnerable children around the world. This tournament is strongly driven by our National Board President, Doug Acton, and provides our guests with more than just a few holes of golf. The event includes meals, sponsored snacks, golfer prizes, storytelling of Lifeline’s impact, and a live auction. Both adults and children are highly encouraged to volunteer for this event.
- In-kind Donations and Event Sponsorships
- This team assists staff with acquiring in-kind donation items from businesses and outside vendors for our live auction and other event needs. They will also help reach out to businesses to present event sponsorship opportunities. This process begins at least four months prior to the tournament.
- Check-in & Registration
- This team sets up the check-in and registration area before the event begins. They then help manage the two-hour check-in process for both golfers and other event volunteers, directing people to their assigned areas, handing out golfer gifts, and communicating any important information for the day.
- Event/Venue Setup
- This team is responsible for hanging sponsor banners and other signage around the clubhouse, as well as at each hole along the course. They will prepare all golfer welcome bags and ensure golf carts are stocked with all necessary items for each participant before the tournament begins. They will also assist with setting up the prizes area in the clubhouse and any other setup needs that arise.
- Guest Engagement
- This team’s focus is to make sure our celebrities and golfers feel welcome, served, and inspired by Lifeline’s mission. They will be our event greeters, table/booth hosts, golfer cheering section, and auction runners during the tournament. They will help set-up the Lifeline info tables, collect payments during our live auction, and most importantly, be Lifeline’s ambassadors throughout the afternoon, answering questions about who Lifeline is, what we do and how they can get involved. You don’t have to be a Lifeline expert to volunteer with this team. As long as you are passionate about Lifeline’s mission and can engage with guests, we will give you everything else you need to thrive in this capacity. We also love for kids to get involved here, especially during the golfer send-off.
- Food Prep & Service
- This team is all about making sure our golfers stay nourished and hydrated throughout the afternoon festivities. They prepare and maintain the beverage coolers and water stations, help set-up for the larger lunch and dinner meals, and help maintain the snack tents located around the golfer send-off area. Clearing tables and throwing away trash after the group meals is a great way to serve our guests also. This team also helps pack up any leftover food and drinks to relocate to Lifeline’s office after the event.
- Tear Down & Clean-up
- This team helps collect all Lifeline event materials at the conclusion of the day and then loads and returns the to Lifeline’s offices. General venue clean-up is a top priority in order to keep good-standing relationships with our venue partners and be good stewards of what we’ve been allowed to use. This process typically lasts about two hours after the event ends.
For more information about our 2020 Celebrity Golf Classic, visit lifelinechild.org/event/celebrity-golf-classic-alabama/