The ultimate goal of the vast majority of foster care cases initially is reunification with birth family. Churches and individuals from within the Church have a unique opportunity to make an impact in the lives of struggling birth families through Families Count parenting classes.
Without assistance, many struggling families slip deeper into situations that put their children at risk for abuse or neglect. Since 2005, Safe Families for Children (SFFC) has offered sanctuary to thousands of children, minimizing this risk as we give parents the time and tools they need to help their families thrive. The ultimate goal is to strengthen and support parents so they can become Safe Families for their own children.
- Lord, You have called us to be Your hands and feet; open the eyes of churches and individuals to open their hearts and doors to serve their communities through Families Count and SFFC.
- God, we ask that You raise up more church partners to serve struggling families in these ministries.
- Lord, You know all hearts, and we ask you to stir the hearts of more volunteers to mentor struggling parents; provide transportation to Families Count classes; and to provide safety for children within the walls of their homes.
- Father, the Creator of families, make Yourself known to the families who are being served through Families Count and SFFC.
- Support the spiritual growth of families and children by purchasing a copy of The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones for each graduating family in Families Count. (The storybook Bible retails for $16.99 plus tax, but donors may also order copies for $8.49 at Christianbook.com.)
- Provide a bound copy of the Families Count curriculum for each parent class member at approximately $3 per member or $63 per class.
- Assist volunteers with SFFC to serve families by donating toward the cost to complete background clearances and training.
- Help SFFC provide emergency or necessary items such as bus passes, food, diapers, and formula for families by providing monetary donations.
- Recruit your small groups to mentor parents and/or provide transportation to/from Families Count classes.
- Encourage your church to undertake family ministry like Families Count and SFFC as part of their local missions.
- Invite others to join you in ask for God’s continued blessings on these ministries, as well as for the salvation of parents who do not yet know Christ as their Lord and Savior.
- Churches can volunteer to host a six-week Families Count class. This involves providing the physical facilities for a class to meet, as well as, the infrastructure to meet the individual needs of participating parents. Those needs may include transportation for some parents who need a ride to/from class, volunteers to prepare and serve the weekly meal that is part of every class, and childcare volunteers who are willing to watch over and disciple children of all ages who may not have another childcare option while their parents learn. This holistic ministry for churches can be an opportunity to do community outreach like no other!
- Churches in the Topeka, Kansas area can become a ministry partner and support volunteers for SFFC in their church.
- You can become a host family, family coach, family friend or resource friend for SFFC in the Topeka, Kansas area.
- Donate gently used baby and children’s clothes and items for host families and families in need in the Topeka area.
Donations can be delivered or mailed to Lifeline’s Birmingham office at:
2104 Rocky Ridge Road
Birmingham, AL 35216
Questions about serving or giving? Contact us at 205.967.0811 or e-mail us here.