Do both parents have to be U.S. citizens?

  • A: No. Only one parent must be a citizen of the United States.

Do we have to abide by adoption laws in our country of residence?

  • A: Yes, your home study must abide by the local home study laws. Lifeline will help you discover what adoption laws your country of residence may have regarding a home study and will ensure that your process meets requirements (if any).

Can we use a local social worker for our home study?

  • A: In some cases, yes. However, this is determined on a case-by-case basis depending on the home study laws of your country of residence and whether the local social worker meets Hague standards as well.

Are there any differences to the process for military families?

  • A: Yes. Military families are typically considered to meet the U.S. residency requirements regarding the citizenship process and do not need to file the N600K form like other families. Although we cannot navigate this process on your behalf, your Lifeline worker will assist your family in pointing you in the right direction for obtaining citizenship for your child before your process is finalized.

How does Lifeline handle sensitive information regarding jobs?

  • A: We recognize that sometimes the careers of expat families requires special attention and wording for our families’ safety while residing abroad (mission organizations, military clearances, etc.) If your family’s circumstances include sensitive career information, your Lifeline worker will carefully discuss with you what information is required to divulge in a home study and how to best address these requirements with safety. Your family will also have the opportunity to review your home study prior to it being submitted to any governing authority to ensure accuracy and sensitivity.